Thursday, May 1, 2008

Delhi’s Gourmet Secrets

Being a complete foodie, I was blessed to be here. I can’t live my life out of having air. I need good delicious mouth smacking foods. And honestly I prefer Deshi traditional foods over any junk stuff. Some times my friends pull my legs telling me if it could have been possible I will prefer lassi to Cola even in PVR.

But I don’t mind because they are true mindless freaks. As I was telling you get whatever food you like. Delhi cuisine is known for its variety and spice. Starting from the Punjabi 'Chhole-Bhature', sarson ka saag, Makke di roti, ‘Korma’, 'Kababs', and 'Biriyanis' to south Indian Idli Dosa, Uttapam- you name it you will have it in here.

If you are a devoted foodie, then I can tell you some real good places which you won’t wanna miss for anything. For non-veggies, 'Karim's' in Old Delhi, NFC’s Al Beg are the most coveted destinations. If haven't had Al Beg's 'shorma' yet, that means you haven't tested heaven. Don't forget to try the mouth-watering 'Paranthas' of 'Paranthe wali gali' in Chandni Chowk. For Paranthas another popular joint is Tanku’s near IIT. Udupi, Sarvana Bhavan and Sagar Ratna, Haldiram’s and Bikaner Group offers light and tasty veg foods. Even I like roadside 'Dhabas', eateries, snack counters- which offer wide varieties of delectable cuisines. Papri, Bhalle-Papri, Aloo Tikiki, Gol Gappe, etc. are all-time favorites of mine.

For the sweet dish, (of course being a Bengali) I can vouch for Bengali sweets. Especially 'Roshogullahs' and 'Sandesh', are most palatable for me. You can easily get best of these yummiest sweets in Rasharaj in CR Park Market-2.

But in case, even after reading all this I cant take you in my side. And still you are more of my friends’ kind then you can always satisfy your gluttony with KFC, Mc Donalds, Nirulas and Wimpys, which you can find here almost in every knock and corner of the city.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know being in the city like Delhi, you can never get gastronomically bored. It is such one place where you have huge variety of cuisines to choose from. And I can this this, because I belong to the same place. And the sizzling street food, what to say man, it can raise anyone's expectations with its tantalizing and mouth watering taste.

Unknown said...

After reading n seeing all these delicious food..... I remembered all the chatwalas n dabbewalas of my gali. I had spent my childhood eating all these tasty stuffs in the streets of Delhi. But as the time is passing n the increasing work load....... I m not getting time to live that life again!!! I even miss the parathes of parathe wali gali in Chandani Chawk. Believe me guys, only Delhi is a place where one can find all sorts off food - whether it’s south Indian or north Indian or eastern or western..........!

Anonymous said...

Delhi is a delight for food lovers. Nobody can deny this. Just think of the kind of food you would like to have and you will definitely get a place in Delhi that is famous for it. I just love eating out, specially chats and golgapas. Unfortunately as said by Madhuri, working leaves you with very little time to go around and eat at places you want to.

Unapologetic Confessions said...

11 am, Sunday morning, on my bed fighting sleep and laze with a cup of tea and then reading about your Delhi's gourmet secrets - I certainly heard a rumble. Now, was it in my stomach or in my mind is a meaningless argument. Indeed, Delhi's delicacies seduce the stomach and mind alike. I also guess that being from moffusial town ourselves we are fascinated to these cuisines, which according to me also manage to drag our senses to nostalgia. So when you walk down the narrow lane of Paranthawala gali in Chandni Chowk, its not the intoxicating aroma of puri bahji that seduce you alone but also the fact that the narrow lane is also your tryst in being part with something that survived the contriving change of time and is your personal indulgence with history. Food, my dear is what I feel is the closest way we can 'taste' history.
A Good read and welcome to the world of blogging.